This post is also available in: Magyar (Hungarian)
Contrary to the first assumptions, COVID-19 infection causes damages NOT ONLY TO THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM but short- or long-term CARDIAC problems can also develop. Patients recovering from this infection without any symptoms can have late and serious complications, which made this virus more dangerous.
Which cardiac problems can coronavirus cause?
- myocardial infarction
- heart arrhythmia that can threaten life
- cardiac failure
- pulmonary embolism
- worsening heart diseases (e.g. high blood pressure or heart failure….)
Which symptoms can refer to cardiac complications?
- stabbing pain in chest or pressure in chest
- shortness of breath appearing both in resting or stress position
- extreme sensation of weakness and fatigue
- swollen or edematous legs
- sensation of rapid or irregular heartbeat
Which cardiology examinations are recommended after COVID-19 infection?
- specialist examination of cardiology (physical examination, checking blood pressure and checking blood oxygen level)
- resting ECG
- heart ultrasound examination
- 24-48-hour ECG monitoring (HOLTER ECG) if justified by previous examinations
- exercise ECG test if justified by previous examinations
- laboratory test (troponin level, NT-proBNP, CRP, D-Dimer)
Who do we recommend this cardiology examination to?
Practically TO EVERYBODY who has recovered from coronavirus infection especially to people who detect even one symptom of the above mentioned ones. In addition, it is recommended to people who do sports regularly (both competitive or hobby athletes) before starting physical exercise again.